The Department of Education will push for more benefits for teachers. This is amidst the long battle cry of teachers on salary hike that has been promised by President Duterte.
During a visit at Signal Village National High School in Taguig City, Education Undersecretary Annalyn Sevilla said that DepED will “review and propose additional benefits for public school teachers.”
It is worth noting that DepED has already been working on additional benefits of teachers such as the special hardship allowance and teaching overload allowance.
Hardship allowance, according to DepED, is an honorarium for teachers whose place of assignment is at far flung areas or places where the mode of transportation is considered difficult, those who handle multigrade classes, or for teachers who carry out mobile teaching functions.
Furthermore, an “overload allowance” would also be given for teachers who renders more than six hours of classroom teaching.
Usec. Sevilla also added that a fund that will cover the yearly medical examination for teachers is also being proposed by DepED.
Should these benefits be approved, it will be added to the already existing list of benefits that teachers are entitled to such as the mid-year and year-end bonuses which are equivalent to a one month basic salary each, a cash gift worth 5,000 pesos, Productivity Enhancement Incentive (PEI), Anniversary Bonus, Performance-Based Bonus (PBB), Proportional Vacation Pay (PVP), and Chalk Allowance.
Teachers also benefit from other incentives such as:
- One step increment for every three (3) years of continuous satisfactory performance.
- One or two (2) step increments due to meritorious performance using the Results-based Performance Management System (RPMS).
- Loyalty Cash Incentive depending on the number of years in service (starting on the 10th year amounting to Php 10,000.00 and Php 5,000.00 after every 5 years).
- Leave privileges (Maternity, paternity, study leave.
- Additional incentive/allowances from LGU (selected divisions)
- Vacation service credits (max of 15 days per year